Friday, February 25, 2011

Dwayne McDuffie, RIP


Just heard the news that writer, producer and editor Dwayne McDuffie has passed away. Although Dwayne and I only met briefly in passing at various comic book conventions, I feel I've lost a friend. Now, I'm sorry that I never took advantage of those brief encounters to tell him what a source of inspiration he was for me.
Somewhere in my garage is a copy of a business magazine that dates back to the early 90s and the cover story features Dwayne McDuffie and his co-founding of Milestone Media. After reading this story my desire to have my own comic book publishing company was ignited. For years I've kept the magazine around and would read the story over and over as fuel for my desire.
Today I have my very own publishing company; although small, the company is growing, thanks in a large way to "brothers" like Dwayne McDuffie who pave the way for creators of color and showed us that, no matter the color of your skin, if the quality of your work stands out, then it can't be ignored.
My condolences go out to his family. Dwayne McDuffie is as big a hero as those he wrote about. He will be missed, but not forgotten.
Dwayne McDuffie, RIP
Carl Herring Jr. President
Three J Productions, LLC.

No comments: